Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The wabi sabi bowl.

The wabi sabi bowl
Wabi sabi.... don't those words delight? Do you know what it is? I'm not sure that I do, but I do know that it is a Japanese aesthetic. It seems to mean finding beauty in wear and tear, rust, in junk, in decay, in hand made... these words are often used to describe it - imperfect, impermanent, incomplete. 


When I stumbled upon those words I just loved them. I took pleasure in saying them. I felt I'd found a concept that celebrates something that I love and have few words for. It seems a perfect match for simple living. 

 Last night I made the bowl in the photo - my wabi sabi bowl. Absolutely imperfect, impermanent and incomplete - made from free dried grass and old clothes. Something in me thrilled at its creation.

I placed it on our sparse chest of drawers, and it became an offering and a prayer.













4 comments:

  1. That's quite beautiful for something imperfect. I guess that's the lesson, isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Embracing imperfection and seeing the touch of the human hand.
    I love that bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wimmera, my friend. I smile every time I see your name in my email inbox (which is where your comments go for approval). Thank you for your beautiful comment. A x

    ReplyDelete